How Strava Brought Their Paid Acquisition in House with Cathy Tanimura
Being able to get a clear and detailed insight into how prospects engage with your business from the top of the marketing funnel to the bottom is immensely valuable. And sometimes the most effective way of doing this is by doing it yourself.
Welcome to Interactive Minds, where each week digital marketing and business professional Louisa Dahl, shares with you the tangible takeaways and recipes for marketing success. She is joined by a host of passionate marketers, innovators and digital leaders from across the globe. If you want easily digestible marketing tips from the industry’s top leaders, this is the podcast is for you.
In this episode, Louisa welcomes senior director of analytics and data science at Strava, Cathy Tanimura. As one of the world’s leading apps for helping runners and cyclists analyse and manage their performance, Strava is no stranger to data. However, when it came to tracking acquisitions, the data was less than ideal. This inspired Cathy to a challenge – bring the whole acquisition and analytics kit and caboodle in house.
Listen in as Cathy shares how she and her team embarked on the project to bring the company’s paid acquisition tracking, media buying and analytics in house, what it involved step-by-step, how to make it as quick and easy as possible, and the best way to go about it if you’re thinking of a similar strategy for your own organisation.
Here’s what to look forward to in this episode:
- A look at Cathy’s career progression
- How she manages both analytics and data science teams
- How these teams function within the organisation
- What a typical day looks like
- What inspired the project
- What data gathering and analysis looked like before
- The steps involved in the project
- Challenges along the way
- How they managed to complete it in only a few months
- How they use it to tweak and optimise spend
- Some of the great insights they’ve gained
- How to determine if in-house is right for you